Sunday, October 12, 2008

Destiny

I wonder about destiny.
If such a thing is true, then I, of all people, am destined.

Music, to me, isn't just a hobby, or an occupation, or a pastime. I used to dream of being able to say, as Louis XIV said of the state, "I Am Music." Of course, I've always had a healthy appetite of ego. I suppose now is the time to also mention that I have been diagnosed with bipolar disorder, but refuse to take medication. With the even-keel of my wife, I've toned down, and I think that I can settle for "Music is me."

After high school, it became time to decide what to do with my life. I started with music at one college, and hated the school. I switched majors a few times before I dropped out and took a year and half off of school, during which I got married.

Now, I am at Stephen F. Austin State University pursuing a Viola Performance degree, and am loving every minute of it. This time, when I came back to music, all the doors got flung open for me, and I know I'm back in destiny's good favor.

No comments: